The Importance of a Site Visit
Making sure you visit the site of your upcoming project as an Interior Designer is a very important step in the design process that shouldn't be overlooked. Even if you are strictly doing E-Design I know you can't physically go to your clients home when doing E-Design but photos and measurements from your client are extremely important. The more information you have the better. Even if accuracy is questionable it is still better than nothing. Things that we make sure to include in our in home site visits include:
1. Take digital pictures of the space to be designed
2. Measure the entire length and width of the space to determine overall square footage
3. Measure the length of each wall
4. Measure the ceiling height of the space
5. Measure the length, width, and height of each entry way or door. Note: door swing and placement of the wall
6. On each wall, measure the length, width, and height of each window. Note and measure the trim and type of window. Note views from window orientation – North, South, East or West.
7. On each wall, list and measure the placement of electrical outlets, heaters, video outlets, other exposed mechanical equipment, etc.
8. List and measure the length, width, and height of any fixed architectural elements that will remain in that space. For example, a fireplace, built-in bookshelves, columns, baseboard, moldin